It's time for my annual Year in Review post - I've used this EXACT survey in 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007...so here I am back with it again.
1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
Had a baby!
2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
In 2008, I didn't make New Year's resolutions. Instead, I started my 101 in 1001 project. Check out my progress! I'll be continuing on those goals in 2009.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Um, that would me ME. Hehehe!
- Two of my old friends (read: elementary school) also had babies in 2008.
- A friend from judging speech and debate also had a little one.
- The wife of two of my husband's coworkers also had kiddos.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My father passed away on August 5th. I miss him terribly.
5. What countries did you visit?
Didn't cross any borders in 2008.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
More money! :-) 13 weeks on maternity leave really cleaned out my savings!
7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Ecstatic - 10/9/08 - birth of baby Catherine
Excited - 2/18/08 - positive pregnancy test - YAY!
Happy - 10/29/08 - Phillies win the World Series
Sad - 8/5/08 - Dad passes away after 5+ year battle with Alzheimer's.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Uh, that would be growing a human being!
9. What was your biggest failure?
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Had some issues towards the end of the pregnancy, but nothing major. Fairly healthy year!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Anything baby related. Although, truthfully, we didn't buy much, because we were blessed to be given so many new and "gently used" items!
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Not really sure that I can congratulate anyone on turning around their ways in 2008. Oh, well!
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
My mother. While I empathize that it is hard to lose your husband of 40 years, it's incomprehensible to me that the woman would be so uninterested in coming to meet her grandchild. Especially after telling everyone in the world that she was planning to be here when the baby was born. And yet, three months later, no interest. I realize that it's more her loss than mine, but it just blows my freaking mind. And it's not like a trip would cost her a cent - hello, I work for the airline. But no, just not a priority. This shouldn't surprise me, I guess. I was never one of her priorities, so why should her grandchild be one either? Ok, totally ranting now. I'll stop. Just frustrating that my kid will be walking and talking by the time we plan to go to Pennsylvania and yet that's the only way, apparently, she will ever meet her grandmother.
14. Where did most of your money go?
The house and the baby and replacing my lack of income while on maternity leave.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
I really can't think of one.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? For the most part, happier. Thinking about Dad usually gets me crying, but I try to do that only in private.
ii. thinner or fatter? Despite gaining 50 pounds while pregnant, I'm now only +5 from last year at this time. However, I'm up 2 clothes sizes, because, well, hips don't unspread.
iii. richer or poorer? POORER! Lots of money spent on the house and the baby. We do have less debt this year than last year, though, so that's good!
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Had down time. We had houseguests for 35 weeks in 2008. And I worked an average of 20-30 hours per week on my freelancing to earn extra money for baby stuff in addition to my full time job. Plus, I took 14 work trips and went to Pennsylvania 3 times for Dad. So even though everyone told me to relax and enjoy just being pregnant, that didn't happen in any way, shape or form.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Running around and trying to be 3 people at once.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
For Christmas in 2008, we had Christmas Eve dinner in our house and Christmas Day dinner at Patti's.
22. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Uh, yeah. With my BABY!
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favorite TV program?
I'd probably have to go with HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER and the now infamous DOOGIE HOWSER episode!
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No. Hate is too strong. Strongly disappointed and disgusted, yes.
26. What was the best book you read?
Oh, so many. Check out my book blog for a comprehensive look at my reading in 2008!
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
No one new.
28. What did you want and get?
29. What did you want and not get?
A higher paying job. Well, ok, I didn't even try for a higher paying job in 2008, to be fair. Because I love what I do at AA. But it continues to depress me beyond belief that I make significantly less now than I did straight out of college 7 years ago. That's something I need to work on figuring out...either making peace with making less, or making plans to achieve more.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Uh...I didn't see many movies in 2008. Can't think of any standouts.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I went into labor on my birthday! I turned 28 the day before my daughter was born.
32.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Having my dad meet my baby. Since both of my grandfathers died years and years before I was born, I so hoped to have my dad become a grandpa. The fact that he died only 2 months before the baby was born makes it even more sad to me.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
34. What kept you sane in 2008?
My husband, as always.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The election. And I continue to fear for our nation in 2009 and beyond.
37. Who did you miss?
My daddy. I say that every year, but this time, I can't look forward to future visits. Now, I just talk to him in my mind.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Um...can't think of anyone.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008:
Even when you are overwhelmed by life, there's no choice but to paste on a smile and keep moving forward.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Can't think of one...